Based on research, longevity can be controlled, to some extent through the way one lives life. While food selection is foundational for health, it’s important to realize that certain lifestyle choices have an equal if not greater impact. The best way to live a long healthy life is to ensure that your body is functioning at 100% and remove any barriers to your body’s ability to heal. Here are some tips that can help you avoid disease and add years to your life:
- Give your body a break from food through intermittent fasting. Research has suggested that intermittent fasting may have a positive effect on longevity. Fasting can lead to benefits that include: improved insulin sensitivity and blood sugar control, better metabolic function, healing of the gut, and increased DNA repair. These changes, in turn, lead to improved cell function, improved mitochondrial function, and increased tissue repair, all of which are critical for improvements in longevity.
- Sleep deeper and better. The healthy body needs 7-8 hrs of unbroken sleep and missed sleep can never be made up. Every single organ in your body has a circadian rhythm. This body clock regulates everything from metabolism to psychological function. Over the long-term, lack of sleep can contribute to a whole host of chronic health problems.
- Get sensible sun exposure or supplement with Vitamin D. Optimal Vitamin D levels are important for many activities such as circulation and tissue repair as well as cancer prevention. I recommend getting a blood test (Vit D OH-25) to evaluate your Vitamin D levels . If they are not optimal, you can supplement with natural Vitamin D such as our drops called HiPo DMAx available online at www.inm.center
- Avoid radiation and electromagnetic fields from x-rays, PET scans, cell phones, tablets, laptops, etc. This radiation activates voltage-gated channels in your cells and creates a potent oxidation on your tissues. It can also alter DNA and damage gene expression.
- Practice Nature Bathing and Earthing. As we detach more and more from the earth’s surface, we accumulate an excess of negative ions. Additionally, these practices relax and calm the mind. Decreased stress leads to a longer life.
- Moderate exercise 4 times per week. Studies show a reduction of all causes of disease with just 20 minutes of movement 4 times per week. It removes stagnation and improves mental health.
- Acupuncture, when received from properly trained doctors, has been shown to increase telomeres. These are special proteins that determine the age of your cells. The longer the telomeres, the longer life. In addition, acupuncture reduces stress and helps optimize the function of the nervous system and organs.
All of these activities have been shown to reduce all causes of diseases by anywhere from 10-20%, adding years to your life. Why would you not want to integrate these simple actions to live a long, healthy life?
Dr. Kenneth Hoffman, DACM, L.Ac., Medical Director
SOPHIA Natural Health Center
*The effectiveness of diagnosis and treatment vary by patient and condition. Sophia Natural Health Center does not guarantee certain results.