Are you taking care of yourself?
As we all know, life happens! And life comes with a lot of challenges, stressors but also good positive things. Even though we might want things to always be positive and good; unfortunately, we cannot control that. What we can control is how we react to situations and how we support our bodies against the stressors that cannot be avoided. With that being said, are you taking the necessary steps to support your body through the challenging moments of life? What about the day to day situations and stressors?
What to do?
- Proper diet and nutrition- It can sound like basics and redundant but many ignore it. Proper nutrition is key in overall health. If you are eating junk and processed/artificial foods, then you will be feeling like junk and your body won’t be able to respond properly to stressors. Nutritional deficiencies will affect the way you think and function. Plus, it eventually develops into chronic conditions. Just put it this way, if you don’t put fuel in your body, how do you expect it to work?
- Adequate sleep- I cannot stress enough the importance of sleep. How do you expect to function and recover if you don’t let the body do so? It is very important to follow good sleep techniques and get your body on a schedule. The circadian rhythm, also known as the body clock, affects hormones, body temperature, digestion, among other bodily functions. Disruptions of the cycle can increase the risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and has a correlation with neurological problems including depression.
- Exercise and physical activity- Movement and physical activity are very important for overall health. It not only helps release stress but also makes the body release endorphins, which give you a feeling of well being. When you exercise, circulation improves and also lymph movement (which carries toxins).
- “Me time”- No matter if you are a single person or have a family, time for yourself is very important. It could be an hour a week or daily. The importance is that you take that time to enjoy your own company and do something that you not only enjoy but also get some benefit from.
- Relaxation techniques- Discovering what works for you is very essential because you want it to be helpful. Different ideas are: abdominal deep breathing exercises, meditation, progressive muscle relaxation technique, yoga, pilates, qi Gong, tai chi, etc. Also, two good resources are heartmath.org and the phone app Calm.
- Support system- Having loved ones around you that support you through difficult times but are also there during the good times is important. Being able to have someone to talk to when times are too stressful or during difficult situations give you a different perspective of the situation and also let you get things off your chest to help release tension.
- Evaluate how you face situations- Learning how to analyze and look at situations from different perspective can save you some stress. Sometimes we stress too much for something that has a simple solution or over stress ourselves for no reason. Most situations either have something positive or a lesson, trying to look at it from that side can prevent a lot of unnecessary stress.
- Treatment- Get evaluated to determine if your body needs some additional support such as supplements, herbal medicine, acupuncture, therapy or whatever your healthcare provider determines necessary for your health.
For a free consultation to discuss your health concerns to see how we may be of help, call our office at 203-740-9300.
Dr. Yarilis Vazquez, ND
Naturopathic Doctor- SOPHIA Natural Health