Spring is finally here and so is the need to get our bodies ready and back in track. As we usually see in practice, winter is a season where many tend to lose track of their nutrition and exercise routine because of Holidays, celebrations, weather, travelling, etc. However, spring is back with a new opportunity to get back to health.
The following recommendations are pretty simple but with great benefits for overall health. Remember, this is a lifestyle and not just a week long change so consistency is the key to get the benefits and stay healthy or get healthy!
- Drink plenty of water: water is essential for body functions and optimal health. It helps detoxify and flush toxins out of the body. The daily intake varies per person but approximately half of your body weight in ounces of water is recommended (example: 100lbs= 50ounces per day average).Your urine should be pale yellow, if it’s not then you should drink more.
- Exercise: exercise and movement is very important for overall health. Not only it improves circulation but it also helps detoxify the body, reduces stress, regulates nervous system, aids lymphatic circulation, helps to burn fat and build muscle, among others. Doing some type of daily exercise is very important for at least 20-25minutes. It is very important that you adjust the exercises based on your health and/or limitations and to consult with your healthcare provider to determine what’s appropriate for you.
- Eliminate the junk: give your body whole foods and nutrients and you will see the benefits in no time. Eliminate processed sugars and carbohydrates from your body and also processed foods and additives. All these do is disrupt your body’s ability to function optimally while causing damage to the body at the same time. Eat fresh foods; if you go to the store and read a label and you can’t say the word and/or don’t know what it means then it is not good for you.
- Sleep: sleep is so important for optimal body function. You could be eating the right diet and exercising daily but if you don’t sleep well your body won’t heal and regenerate. Get into a routine and eliminate triggers that could be disrupting your sleep cycle.
- Breathe: so basic and so essential for the body. Don’t forget to breathe and incorporate breathing exercises to your daily routine as it will help regulate your nervous system.
Always consult with your healthcare provider to determine what your body needs and what’s best for your body. We are here to get your body back to health!
Dr. Yarilis Vazquez, ND
Naturopathic Doctor- Sophia Natural Health