I have been taking increasing doses of statin drugs for 20 years. The dose began at 20 mg and over time increased to 80 mg/day. I began experiencing muscle pain, neuropathy, and numbness in my feet. I walked 3-4 miles a day and had to suspend this due to the pain. My doctor advised that I endure the pain. I read a number of books, used the internet and read the Atorvastatin side effects. These appeared to my symptoms. I decided to stop taking my statin drugs.
However, I needed help navigating the variety of supplements I read about and needed guidance on how to naturally control my high cholesterol levels and manage my inflammation. I also wanted to resume my walking activity and lose some weight. It’s been weeks since I stopped the statin. SOPHIA provided testing, acupuncture, lifestyle, and effective supplements. My muscle pain has been reduced from about 5-6 out of 10 points down to a two in three weeks.
Read More about naturally handling your Cholesterol levels
Health Tips for High Cholesterol
* Increase your intake of fiber-rich foods such as oatmeal, whole grains, fruits, vegetables and legumes (beans, soybeans).
* Soy products help lower cholesterol levels due to their isoflavone content.
* Include garlic, onions, avocados, salmon, almonds and walnuts in your diet.
* Omega-3 oils such as flax seed oil and fish oil helps lower cholesterol.
* Copper and chromium are minerals that have been shown to lower cholesterol levels.
Acupuncture for Cholesterol Management
By: Diane Joswick, L.Ac., MSOM